Sunday, March 21, 2010

I did it!

I finished the race.
I learned A LOT doing it.

Lets see -

1- don't stay up until almost 1 to watch Maryland play basketball in the NCAA tournament, when you have to get up at 5:45 the next day for a race (besides Maryland will just break your heart in the next round anyway)
2- probably shouldn't eat a protein bar 30 mins before the race (eat right when you get up next time)
3- wear pants to the race (I was FREEZING and stayed cold until a least 1 mile into the race)
4- learn how to pace yourself. ( I ran the first mile and a half at 8:50 min miles. Anyone following my running should know that this is way too fast, I run 10 min miles.)

So I started way too fast and by mile 2 I had nothing left to give. Nothing. My legs were tight, I was exhausted. I  walked for 30 seconds ish, then ran another half mile or so, then walked another 30 seconds. Turned the corner and saw the finish line. I pushed hard to finish the race. I crossed the finish line at 31:15. Not bad. I was really upset with myself though. 3 miles should not have been that hard for me. I run 3 miles 2 times a week. I was so frustrated. I also felt bad because my friend ran it with me, and he stuck by me even though I was going slow and walking. He runs much faster than me, I kept telling him to go on, but he was nice and stuck with me.

We crossed the finish, I stretched out a little and then we went to get some breakfast. I came home and crashed for an hour before showering and going to my mom and mema's birthday party.

Racing was a good experience, I learned how annoying the start of a race is, not being able to move because everyone is packed around you. I also learned that jogging mom's are annoying with those strollers. (I promise not to be one of those that almost take you out, I will listen to the rules and start in the back :-D)

I am going to sign up for a couple more, and keep practicing. I am also going to invest in a watch for running so I can monitor my pace better. Oh and since the weather is getting nice, I am going to stop relying on the treadmill as much.

2 comments:

  1. Such good tips! Mike and I are doing a triathalon in July and it ends with a 5k so I really appreciate it. Thanks for the sweet birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, stop by my main blog when you have a moment or two. I left something there for you.
    I am so proud of all the work you've done. keep up the great work. Keep inspiring me.
    Take care and God Bless!!!

    ReplyDelete